baithak

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Sunday, August 10, 2008

I Didn't Kill 'The Jewel of Medina' -

Denise A. Spellberg, Assoc. Professor of History and Middle Eastern Studies University of Texas at Austin reoplies toAsra Nomani's allegations and innuendos. LINK.

***

Asra Q. Nomani's "You Still Can't Write About Muhammad" (op-ed, Aug. 6) falsely asserts that I am the "instigator" of the Random House Press decision not to publish a novel about the Prophet's wife titled, "The Jewel of Medina." I never had this power, nor did I single-handedly stop the book's publication. Random House made its final decision based on the advice of other scholars, conveniently not named in the article, and based ultimately on its determination of corporate interests.

As a historian invited to "comment" on the book by its Random House editor at the author's express request, I objected strenuously to the claim that "The Jewel of Medina" was "extensively researched," as stated on the book jacket. As an expert on Aisha's life, I felt it was my professional responsibility to counter this novel's fallacious representation of a very real woman's life. The author and the press brought me into a process, and I used my scholarly expertise to assess the novel. It was in that same professional capacity that I felt it my duty to warn the press of the novel's potential to provoke anger among some Muslims.

[for full post click on the heading - thanks A]

And if you are interested in bloggers comments over the book you can go HERE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home