baithak

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Monday, August 24, 2009

A good catch by Ansar Abbasi: A permanent NRO, An Oreo or a Coconut,

A good catch by Ansar Abbasi: what a crafty way to immune themselves against future cases. Am sure the corrupt parliamentarians would readily support this ~t

The draft of ‘Holders of Public Offices (Accountability) Act 2009’ as finalised by the government to replace the NAB with a toothless future Accountability Commission, has an inbuilt but permanent NRO as it bars the prosecution of any public office-holder after three years of the expiry of his term. The draft law, which Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani also confirmed on Saturday to have been finalised, was given to the Leader of the Opposition Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan to have his final look before moving it before the Parliament for enactment.Clause 24 of the draft act reads as: “No prosecution after certain period:- No holder of public office shall be prosecuted, after three years of the expiry of his term or of his ceasing to hold office, for an offence which he is alleged to have committed during his tenure.” A permanent NRO in the making for politicians

As if that experience did not foster greater identity confusion, more of it came with my move to New York City, where I had decided to pursue my masters in social work. There, I was greeted with comments like "Nisha, where are you from?" To which I responded: "Canada." Followed by: "Yeah, but you know .... like, where are you from?" I looked down at my tanned arms and remembered what sparked the question. I felt like saying from an egg and a sperm, but instead repeated, "From Canada, eh ... I have an East Indian heritage if that is what you're asking." It dawned on me that in my country, I was simply a "coconut" and to the rest of the world, I was a coconut from Canada – white on the inside and brown on the outside. By now, you might be thinking my intent in writing this is to play the "racism-still-exists-in-the-world" card, but that is not my motive. To be sure, racism persists. But beyond that is the ongoing ignorance of biculturalism in a radically developing multicultural world. There is a whole new identity out there, folks, a whole new species of people. I had no idea what to call them or what to call myself until I heard the magic word: bicultural. Memo to my fellow citizens: How to address this 'coconut' - Nisha Banerjee

You could call me a “matchmaker,” said Levy Izhak Rosenbaum, from Brooklyn, USA, in a secret recording with an FBI-agent whom he believed to be a client. Ten days later, at the end of July this year, Rosenbaum was arrested and a vast, Sopranos-like, imbroglio of money-laundering and illegal organ-trade was revealed. Rosenbaum’s matchmaking had nothing to do with romance. It was all about buying and selling kidneys from Israel on the black market. Rosenbaum says that he buys the kidneys for $10,000, from poor people. He then proceeds to sell the organs to desperate patients in the States for $160,000. The accusations have shaken the American transplantation business. If they are true it means that organ trafficking is documented for the first time in the US, experts tell the New Jersey Real-Time News. Our Sons Plundered for their Organs ByDonald Boström

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home