baithak

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Saturday, May 02, 2009

A long, loving literary line

In the dying days of the British Raj, over a family meal in Lucknow, a young Indian man, greatly influenced by communist and Marxist thought while at Oxford in the 1930s, launched forth with his political ideas. The subject at hand: Lenin and the Soviets. His mother, at the other end of the table, leaned forward. "If there's something wrong with the linen and serviettes," she said, "let me know. I'll attend to it."

The young man was my maternal grandfather, and the story is the stuff of family legend. As a child I loved the humour of that tale - now I am startled by the picture it forms of my great-grandmother as a traditional figure of 1940s Indian womanhood, unable to step outside the domestic, even when faced with a communist dictator.

You certainly wouldn't guess from that story, or necessarily from photographs of my great-grandmother (which show a tiny woman, her head covered with a dupatta), that she was a politician and the first of four generations of women writers in my family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home