baithak

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Aaker Patel: The discovery of Bombay

In Bombay I worked for the first time in my life with women. Having dealt with men at business till the age of 25, I was unprepared for having a woman as my boss. I thought of them, naturally not militantly, as belonging at home.

My first job in Bombay was under a woman, who soon disabused me of my ignorance, and some of my stupidity.

I learnt here that it was possible to attract a woman using only words, which cost nothing (which was important); and I learnt that technique was involved in romancing women (still learning that).

I have found no fortune in Bombay, if that is measured by wealth -- and it is by Gujaratis.

But Bombay helped me open my eyes. I do not understand much of what I see, but I am amazed by what Bombay has shown me.

This is the city of Jinnah (Karachi), of Manto (Lahore), Manmohan Desai (Valsad), Ustad Allah Rakha (Phagwal), Dhirubhai Ambani (Chorwad), Jamshetji Nusserwanji Tata (Navsari), and Shah Rukh Khan (Delhi). Amitabh Bachchan (Allahbad) and Rafiq Zakaria (Nalasopara). And Aakar Patel (Surat).

It does not embarrass me to put my name up with these men. Bombay also taught them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home