baithak

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Sunday, August 28, 2005

one more excerpt

June 17, 2003 one more excerpt

ìOf course, any literary endeavour must be judged on the work alone. It stands or falls on its own merits regardless of the colour, gender and so on of the author. A male author does not need "permission" to write about a female character, a white author does not transgress in taking a black protagonist. But the "two camp" split in my case brings me back to the idea of the periphery. How can I write about a community to which I do not truly belong? Perhaps, the answer is I can write about it because I do not truly belong. Growing up with an English mother and a Bengali father means never being an insider. Standing neither behind a closed door, nor in the thick of things, but rather in the shadow of the doorway, is a good place from which to observe. Good training, I feel, for life as a writer.î

monica ali

thanks to jonathan: (http://jonathanali.blogspot.com/)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home